2 Way Audio

Technical forum for the hugely popular Hikvison IP range
Chris B

2 Way Audio

Postby Chris B » Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:53 pm

I'm struggling to work out how to set up two-way audio. My system comprises a DS-7608NI-8P NVR with 4 Vandal Dome cameras (DS-2CD2142) and 1 Mini Dome (DS-2CD2542DW-IWS). The Mini Dome and 2 of the Vandal Domes are cabled directly to the NVR. The other two Vandal Domes are cabled to the network router so that all five appear on the monitor attached to the NVR.

The Mini Dome has a built-in microphone and I would like to enable two way audio between this camera and the room where the NVR is located.

Do I need a loudspeaker next to the NVR to that I can hear what the camera mic is capturing? If so, would that plug into the "Audio Out" socket on the NVR?

Assuming that this would take care of listening to what the camera is picking up, I then need to consider how to talk to a person outside. Presumably I would need a separate microphone in the NVR room and an external speaker next to the camera. Can these be integrated with the NVR or do they have to be an independent system?

Alternatively would I do better forgetting about the NVR and use iVMS-4500 to handle the Audio via a PC. Presumably, I would still need a loudspeaker to be fitted adjacent to the camera and plugged into the RCA socket on the NVR?

Would a microphone attached to the PC be able to send speech to an external speaker attached to the NVR?

Grateful for any guidance!

Chris B

Re: 2 Way Audio

Postby Chris B » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:27 pm

Perhaps I made things too complicated in my last post!
One step at a time now....
The mini-dome camera has an "audio out" plug. Can I connect a loudspeaker directly to this in order to listen to sounds being picked up by the in-built microphone?

larryccf

Postby larryccf » Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:18 am

after posting on the same topic, i found your post, and it's a little dis-heartening to see you haven't received a response

here's my thread: http://hikvisionforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=652#top

if it helps, i was able to get a basic speaker working, but it was just for trying out, as it's not an exterior rated speaker - i'm illiterate electronically, but as all the external speaker setups Hikvision USA pointed me at (cheapest was $480 USD) were cabinet enclosed with their own amplification built in, i tried a cheap computer monitor speaker "add-on" - https://www.amazon.com/SUPVIN-Portable- ... s+soundbar

i already had one, and surprisingly, even though the speakers are only 1 or 1.5W draw, volume is great - and they have a built in amplifier in one of the speaker cabinets, so it was a simple matter to plug the USB cable into a "wall wart" with USB out socket to power the speaker.

If you look real close at the audio connector, two of the slots are marked "GND" and "A" for audio. (the other two are for alarm in/output).

I've been able to speak from both the Hik-Connect app and from a computer microphone. I'd really rather find an exterior rated speaker that i can install

tony_2018

Postby tony_2018 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:59 pm

Chris B wrote:
Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:27 pm
Perhaps I made things too complicated in my last post!
One step at a time now....
The mini-dome camera has an "audio out" plug. Can I connect a loudspeaker directly to this in order to listen to sounds being picked up by the in-built microphone?
Yes, you need to wire in an external speaker to each camera or to the camera you want to talk back on.