GUIDE: Logging directly into IP cameras that are connected to an NVR

Technical forum for the hugely popular Hikvison IP range
adam
Site Admin

GUIDE: Logging directly into IP cameras that are connected to an NVR

Postby adam » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:02 am

One of the benefits of IP cameras is that you can login directly to a camera via the user friendly web interface to adjust a wide range of settings that are not all available when going through the NVR itself. This includes the ability to default a camera if it is having issues to confirm a hardware fault.

However when cameras are connected to the Hikvision NVRs directly they are put on a separate sub net so are normally inaccessible over the network directly. Luckily however Hikvision have provided a solution via the NVRs web interface by enabling just one option:

1) Log into the NVRs web interface and go to Configuration > Network > Advanced > Other and tick 'Enable Virtual Host'

2) Then go to the left and System > System Settings > Camera Management - where you will see a new column on the far right with links allowing you to click through to each individual cameras web interface.

Unless set otherwise the username and password should be the same as the NVR.

From here you can fine tune the cameras image settings and go the the System > Maintenance menu to update firmware and perform a full factory default (Try 'restore' first before 'default').

Maxim

Re: GUIDE: Logging directly into IP cameras that are connected to an NVR

Postby Maxim » Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:04 am

Adam,
Just last week the time display on one of my cameras was out by an hour and anything I did to correct it threw all the other cameras out by an hour. I was able to do a "camera default" (on the offending camera) from the NVR which solved the problem with the time difference. The NVR did not offer the "Restore" option like the web interface does, maybe the restore would also resolved my issue and reduced the amount of reconfiguring I had to do? I was just glad to get the time display fixed.
I just enabled Virtual Host and had a quick look and I am amazed at how much it allows you to "drill down" into the cameras config.
Example: setting up motion detection for a camera. One issue I have had was the sensitivity setting, On the NVR interface It goes from level 1-7. (Lower is less sensitive and higher is more sensitive) I find on 3 it picks up people as well as birds and moths at night. If I set it to 2, it won't pick up people or anything. Using this web interface to access the camera directly I can select the "Ëxpert" mode that not only allows me to set sensitivity from 0 - 100, ( in increments of 1, ie; 100 settings) it also allows me to set different sensitivity settings for daytime and for night.
Also when it comes to drawing an area, instead of it pixelating the area you draw. It will draw the area precisely where you run your mouse.
Also you can draw multiple areas (at least 4, possibly as many as 8 I think) and assign different sensitivity levels for each area.
I also like the way when you select Configuration/Event/Smart Event, It only shows the Smart Detection settings your camera is capable of.
Excellent tip.