Hikvision NVR and Hikvision Dome cameras going offline

Technical forum for the hugely popular Hikvison IP range
ahmed24

Hikvision NVR and Hikvision Dome cameras going offline

Postby ahmed24 » Tue May 30, 2017 12:37 pm

I've had my Hikvision DS-7604NI-E1/4P/A 4 Channel POE NVR with 4 HIKVISION DS-2CD2132F-IS cameras. 2 of the cameras have been running for just over a year and the other 2 have been running for about 10 months. The two that were running for 10months all of a sudden just randomly decide to go offline. If I go to the camera management section, they show they are offline. Restarting the NVR doesnt help. Sometimes disconnecting the cable from the back of the NVR and reconnecting it several times works but its very rare and eventually goes offline again. Even though the device shows as offline, when i go and look at it the light on the camera is on and at night the IR lights turn on so seems like the camera is active but it's just not communicating with the NVR.

Any ideas what could be the problem? The only difference is that the two cables running to the cameras that are giving issues have a joint somewhere in the middle as the cable had to be cut and re-joined at some point. But this was done almost 8 months ago and it has been working with the joint cable for 8 months or so.

JHSSecurity

Re: Hikvision NVR and Hikvision Dome cameras going offline

Postby JHSSecurity » Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:54 am

If the cut connection is outdoors, even in a dry location, changes to humidity can cause issues with the connection. Power mat still be there because it only uses 2 of the 8 wires. The connection of the cut should be made using a CAT5 modular insert and and RJ45 connector, similar to that of a patch cord plugged into a data jack. I am willing to bet your problems are related to the cables. Another point about cabling is if the cables run outdoor in an area where moisture can get to them, the cable should be outdoor rated (water/moisture proof).