Darkfighter PTZ camera keeps restarting during night

Technical forum for the hugely popular Hikvison IP range
Limeliz

Darkfighter PTZ camera keeps restarting during night

Postby Limeliz » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:13 pm

We have replace a customers old Sony PTZ with a Hikvision DS-2DF8223I-AEL. It works perfectly during the day, but after office hours when it's dark the camera constantly restarts. I'm able to login to the camera page for between 5 and maybe 60 seconds before it restarts. I know the camera restarts because I lose contact with it (pings time out too) and when I can reach it again and login it's positioned in the default position and I see text on the camera image.

I've contacted the Hikvision tech support but they've only told me to upgrade the firmware and once I did that and told them it didnt help they haven't replied for a week.

The camera uses the old power supply. I don't remember the brand, but it's 24 V AC, 4 A. I tried yesterday to replace it with the one supplied with the camera (which is 24 V AC, 3.5 A) and then the camera started restarting right away even during the day.

I have one theory which is that the camera isn't getting enough power, so it restarts. It gets enough during the day, but in the night the powerful IR lights goes on and the camera might need more power. Also I'm guessing there's a heater inside because it has a defog feature. The heater might go on during the night aswell, needing more power.

My next step is to get a colleague to help me take it down (it's installed high up on a pole on a roof and the camera weights 8 kg so it's not so easy to handle alone) and try it with new shorter cables and inside, but that will have to wait until next week atleast.

Anyone have any other ideas?

Maxim

Re: Darkfighter PTZ camera keeps restarting during night

Postby Maxim » Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:04 pm

Limeliz,
I read your post and I think you might be on the right track regarding possible power issues.
I looked up the specs on this camera and it's power consumption is stated at "Max 60 Watts".
Your 4 Amp supply should provide at lest 90 Watts without taking in to account for voltage drop.
I assume you are running POE. (with Injectors) or is there a separate cable run for power? If so what is the gauge of the wire?
What is the length of your cable run?
Was the cable checked/replaced with the upgrade of the camera?
If not how old is the cable?
Assuming it is POE, It might pay to check the termination, your data pins (1, 2, 3 & 6) are obviously fine, If one of the other pins (4, 5, 7 or 8) is open circuit (or suffered corrosion being outdoors) you will still have your power at the other end only it will be using only half of the copper which would fail under high loads (ie IR and or Heater turns on)

You indicated that it happens at night and yes as the I.R. cuts in that will increase your power requirement.
I am not sure how the heater works on these, is it controlled by a thermostat? and triggered by ambient air temp?
What are your night time temperatures where you are?
Can you turn the heater function off for a one night to test?
Can you during the day force the IR to turn on and also force the heater on to load up the camera and replicate the fault?
If so, can you then get to the camera with your multimeter and without disconnecting the power test what the voltage drops is at the camera with it loaded up? (ie heater on, IR. on.)
I hope you might get some ideas out of this.
I am interested to hear back from you as to what you find.
Maxim

pgardiner

Re: Darkfighter PTZ camera keeps restarting during night

Postby pgardiner » Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:13 am

Disconnect camera, check the IP is not in use somewhere else on the network.

I had same problem with a clients printer using same IP, symptom is like camera rebooting!