Save me from wasting any more money

Technical forum for the hugely popular Hikvison IP range
mickf

Save me from wasting any more money

Postby mickf » Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:42 am

Hi hoping someone in the know can steer me in the right direction.I'm not a total newbie to IP cameras,we had 4 Tenvis wireless cams in the garden filming and recording the badgers,foxes etc we get at night time.Even had them online for friends to view through a browser.
Have taken them out to fit a system that will do that but also help secure the home.I bought 3 Hiwatch IPC-B140 4mp cameras and a NVR-108-A 8 channel recorder with 1tb hdd.First mistake!there were no pics of the rear of the NVR in the ad.I assumed it had 8 ports.Its got one.So I need a POE switch.I stumbled across POE injectors and bought 3 12v 1a versions.I have an 8 port TP-Link 10/100 switch and assumed I could go into this switch from the LAN port of the injectors,feed the cameras from the POE port and take a cable from a port on the switch to my router and a cable to the router fron the NVR?Was this another mistake?I'm sure I read that the cameras needed 12v 1a but they dont seem to power them up.Luckily I have a large 12v power supply from a coax system which I am using as a stop gap to power the cameras.Can someone suggest why the injectors dont do the job?
Assuming that I wont be able to use the injectors I have been looking at POE switches.I only envisage using a maximum of 4 cameras.There seem to be plenty of choice of switches at many differing prices.There are quite a few well known makes with 5 ports so theres a spare port to go to the router at very reasonable prices because they come without a power supply.What sort of output spec power supply do I need?
I seem to have managed to activate the cams and NVR,have tested the cams through a browser so know that they actually work.Not got as far as adding them to the NVR yet.
Will I have to buy a tool and new rj45 plugs to fit the waterproofing seals for the cams?Is self amalgamating tape not a good way of doing it?
Extremely sorry to ramble on here but I'm getting so confused here and dont want to carry on doing it wrong.I was very pleased with the quality of the cams and looking forward to getting it set up.Any help offered would be very much appreciated.
Mick

mickf

Re: Save me from wasting any more money

Postby mickf » Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:00 am

Just a thought, I ruled out voltage drop(eventually my cables will be 20m long) as the camera doesnt power up through the injector even with a 1m cable.
Mick