Why white?

State your requirements here (residential/commercial/distance/area to be covered/budget etc) to find out what Hikvision solution will work for you.
Ashtons99

Why white?

Postby Ashtons99 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:16 pm

Hello folks. I've just registered on here being in the first throes of looking at a DIY install. I am fairly set on a POE 4mp camera system, 8 channel NVR and 2TB HD. What does cause me concern though and steers me away from the hikvision kit is the colour of the camera bodies. Why are they white? Surely a dark body would be more discreet and probably weather better.
Are there any options for grey or black? do hikvision supply their cameras in a darker colour?

adam
Site Admin

Re: Why white?

Postby adam » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:58 am

This pretty much comes down to one thing, heat and reliability. A black camera will get very hot in the summer and cause potential long term reliability issues on more advanced IP cameras...

Ashtons99

Postby Ashtons99 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:56 pm

Never thought of that Adam, is that the main reason then ?
Apart from getting over the colour issue, in terms of a DIY install are there any major commissioning obstacles. Is the hikvision gear fairly simple to get up and running once you've plugged it all in. I'm meaning setting up the router side of things, accessing the images over Apple phones and iPads. Also are there any ongoing hosting costs once it's installed

adam
Site Admin

Postby adam » Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:17 pm

Yep, fairly straight forward and free with Hik-Connect: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=520

jimmyscotts

Postby jimmyscotts » Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:37 am

Are IP cameras effective?

JHSSecurity

Postby JHSSecurity » Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:08 pm

There are some new models available in black housings from Hik North America (DS-2CD2142FWD-IS(B)). When you say are they effective? That is a very broad question. They are especially cost effective for a single camera install since you can use them very effectively with an SD card to record on in the camera and manage everything from a Browser GUI. you can even do that with two or three cameras, however it becomes harder to manage cameras individually the more you get, of course you can add multiple cameras to the free Hik-Connect service and view them together from the IVMS 4500 phone app. HikVision cameras also offer more features than other manufacturers when it comes to thinks like detecting "Line Crossing" and "Zone Intrusion". On the down side, free software does have problems and since it is free, there is not much recourse if you are experiencing inconsistencies. I myself use am iMac and I am experiencing an issue viewing live images from the web browser of my 4MP camera in Safari. Unfortunately there has been no solution to my problem and from Hikvision's perspective, they do not list MAC as a compatible client OS, at least on the North American site!