HikVison Network Cameras

State your requirements here (residential/commercial/distance/area to be covered/budget etc) to find out what Hikvision solution will work for you.
jr135

HikVison Network Cameras

Postby jr135 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:47 pm

Hi there,

I've been recommended Hikvision and having looked at the various options I'm leaning towards a camera at the front and back of the house specifically the DS-2CD2155FWD-I(S) network dome camera model but the DS-2CD2355FWD-I network turrent camera also looks appealing.
What is the difference between the Dome type and the Turret type, other than visual appearance?

My plan of installing these with Cat5 cables to have PoE seems straightforward (with the help of some YouTube vids) but I'm also looking at the feasibility for a camera in the front porch which would be linked to a small monitor in the hallway (all on the same PoE network) that would activate to display the camera image internally whenever someone approaches the front door - this is for security purposes and piece of mind for the wife and kids. Is this possible without going down the route of a conventional door camera & intercom? If so what equipment would be required?

Many thanks in advance!
Jon

adam
Site Admin

Re: HikVison Network Cameras

Postby adam » Wed May 03, 2017 9:25 am

Hi Jon,

The cameras you mentioned are not yet released (due summer) and will be replacing these two current models:

http://www.cctvkits.co.uk/hikvision-ds- ... -dome.html

http://www.cctvkits.co.uk/hikvision-ds- ... -dome.html

The glass bubble dome is 'tamper resistant' so is more suited to being within reach, although the negative of this glass bubble is that if it gets wet IR can be reflected back into the camera and cloud the image. Also the turret type camera does has a slightly better infra red type overall (EXIR).

So if it's high up under soffits for example, the turret is best, lower down under a garage soffit/porchway then I'd go for the vandal dome.

If you want a monitor in the hallway you need an NVR (smallest one with no HDD) or stand alone decoder to present the image to the monitor, no other way I'm afraid as this is IP.

jr135

Postby jr135 » Sat May 06, 2017 8:52 pm

Hi Adam,

Many thanks for taking the time to answer my query. I now have a couple more... :D

My original plan was to go from my router into a switch with 8x poe ports to link to 3x cameras and a monitor (with the extra ports as space for future expansion if needed). Now that I need an NVR to facilitate this plan would having an NVR with power over ethernet ports avoid the need for a power over ethernet switch? For example could I go straight from the router into the NVR, then power the cameras and link the monitor that way?

Would I be correct in assuming that if I get a NVR with storage, this would negate the need for onboard Micro SD cards at each of the cameras?

Finally, can any monitor with power over ethernet capability be suitable for my intended application? or is a VGA or HDMI lead required also?

Many Thanks

Regards
Jon

adam
Site Admin

Postby adam » Tue May 16, 2017 8:19 am

You are spot on with your first two assumptions John, an NVR has onbaord POE for the cameras so no seperate switch required and with a HDD no SD card is required at the cameras (unless you want it for backup).

On the monitor, ther eare no POE monitors at all, this is completely sepreate (not a network device). However you could run a cat 5 cable to where you want a monitor and put HDMI over Cat5 extenders on the ends and do it that way!