to NVR or not to NVR.. that is the question

Info and support on remote viewing on a Hikvision product.
laughingman

to NVR or not to NVR.. that is the question

Postby laughingman » Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:15 pm

Hi all

New to Hikvision
I have 3 - 12MP fisheye cameras and I am currently using the web login to the cameras to configure and control after fighting with IVMS-4200 trying to get it to send mail via my gmail account.
I prefer the IVMS-4200 software but until they fix the gmail issue I cannot use it which brings me to my next question
Should I buy a dedicated NVR? Are there NVRs that will make better use of the 12MP fisheye camera streams? Some of them say they can accept streams up to 8mp... what does that mean if I have a 12mp camera.. is the stream 12mp? I don't need any POE I already have a switch for that... any recommendations/advice is welcome.

JHSSecurity

Re: to NVR or not to NVR.. that is the question

Postby JHSSecurity » Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:53 am

Well I am a newbie to this but from what I understand, the ability for the NVR to record a data stream at the maximum camera resolution is based on the camera Mp. If you get an NVR, you should make sure it will handle the 12mp recording, however most NVR's are behind the camera technology. The latest from Hikvision for a small amount of cameras will work for 12Mp but that is the limit. You need to read the spect carefully because it may only be able to handle 4 channels @ 12Mp, then the remaining will be reduced in quality to a lower resolution.
This Hikvision unit should do fine for up to 4 cameras. DS-7600NI-I2

laughingman

Postby laughingman » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:34 pm

JHSSecurity wrote:
Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:53 am
Well I am a newbie to this but from what I understand, the ability for the NVR to record a data stream at the maximum camera resolution is based on the camera Mp. If you get an NVR, you should make sure it will handle the 12mp recording, however most NVR's are behind the camera technology. The latest from Hikvision for a small amount of cameras will work for 12Mp but that is the limit. You need to read the spect carefully because it may only be able to handle 4 channels @ 12Mp, then the remaining will be reduced in quality to a lower resolution.
This Hikvision unit should do fine for up to 4 cameras. DS-7600NI-I2
Thanks JH - does anyone know if there is any benefit to using a NVR at 12mp recording and stream -vs- iVMS 4200 software on a PC? How do I determine what MP my PC is is streaming/recording /camera?
The PC is not the most powerful but it did handle 8 analog cameras back in the day.
Intel i5 @3.40 ghz with 8 gb of ram running win7 64 bit
intel HD graphics 4000
my network is gigabyte certified

adam
Site Admin

Postby adam » Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:11 am

One thing I will point out is reliability. NVRs are less likely to crash as they are a simplified dedicated machine but most important of all is the hard drives you are using. Due to constant read/write demands, you should be using CCTV specific hard drives (WD purple/Seagate Skyhawk) - as normal and cheaper PC hard drives will have a higher chance of failing under the usage conditions.

Of course you could fit one of these drives to your PC and use as the recording drive.

You can still use iVMS as your main interface and have the box for recording you know?